Saturday, June 07, 2008

Melancholy Micah



I've noticed you lately my Micah
You watching the world from a distance sometimes, and when
I look you straight in the eye, I can see right into your soul.

Tonight at church, other children arrived and made busy
exploring, running, jumping, shouting
You sat quietly beside the water station- like a rabbit
You barely moved.
I watched you, and I wondered if you were sleeping with your eyes open until
your gaze caught mine.
I made a funny face;
your eyes didn't sparkle, no grin teased your lips.
I changed my expression to one of questioning, tilted my head to the side and blew you a kiss.
You buried your sun-kissed cheeks in your hands, and cried- silently.
I hurried to your side, sat down next to you and asked you what was wrong.
You couldn't tell me in words, but you curled your body up in my lap, tucked your blond head under my chin and clutched the shoulder of my shirt in your fist.
I said nothing, hugged you tight and asked you to be my special helper for the night.
You agreed and stayed close by for a while, then eased into play with a group of quiet looking friends.

I'll keep watching you my Micah. I've got my eye on you because you're easy to miss sometimes.
You just keep looking me straight in the eye, so I can see you.

No comments:

Simile Metaphor Collection

Elijah after running: My heart is beating like a coconut rolling down a hill.
Elijah on urination: Pee is like horses galloping out of the gate. Once they get started you just can't stop them.
Elijah: If school were a human I'd give it a wedgie.
Elijah: I am like a hot rod and I just want to be a plain old Ford
Elijah on the fruits of the spirit: I've got them all covered except self-control. Its like a tiny green tomato and the rest are all big ripe ones. Especially love. Its like the biggest tomato we saw in the garden tonight.