Monday, October 27, 2008

Sabbath Keeping

Our journey toward marking Sabbath with traditions as a family is going well. We're easing into a consistent routine, and it feels GREAT. I keep wondering why it took us so long to actually keep a Sabbath. The most drastic and effective change- it may seem overly obvious and simple- we don't work. I do minimal cooking (like reheating leftovers and making sandwiches) but literally, that's IT. We even leave the dishes for Monday, and if you know me at all, you know how that would normally drive me nuts. But for some reason on Sundays it feels good- kind of like I'm sticking it to my tasky self- "Do dishes? Not today! Hah! Take that!" We play, nap, read, watch sports (well, Eric, not me), take walks, and generally enjoy each others' company.

I'm also reading The Sabbath by Abraham Joshua Heschel. He writes about time,
"There is a realm of time where the goal is not to have but to be, not to own but to give, not to control but to share, not to subdue but to be in accord." I love it.

To be
To give
To share
To be in accord
These are my new daily goals for at least 1 whole day every week. Am I succeeding? Little by little. But I do know that there is greater joy in the work when there is a whole day of rest is just around the corner.

2 comments:

amberly said...

LOVED that book you're reading! I hope it blows your socks as far off as it did mine. :)

Robin said...

I so enjoy hearing about your Sabbath-seeking. (I just need to comment more often!) When we were in Marion, I really began to feel convicted about the fact that we're so careful about other commandments, but seem to toss this one aside. Though I was working full time, going to school, and volunteering with the college ministry, I started to be intentional about keeping the Sabbath on Saturday. (A Pastor can't really take a Sabbath on Sunday!) I can't tell you how refreshing it was! I'm not AS good at it anymore, but I always try to make Saturdays free of obligation and full of rest. God sure knows us better than we know ourselves! Thanks for sharing your journey.

Simile Metaphor Collection

Elijah after running: My heart is beating like a coconut rolling down a hill.
Elijah on urination: Pee is like horses galloping out of the gate. Once they get started you just can't stop them.
Elijah: If school were a human I'd give it a wedgie.
Elijah: I am like a hot rod and I just want to be a plain old Ford
Elijah on the fruits of the spirit: I've got them all covered except self-control. Its like a tiny green tomato and the rest are all big ripe ones. Especially love. Its like the biggest tomato we saw in the garden tonight.