Friday, October 24, 2008

Lovers of Independence

I forget sometimes how much of childhood is about fighting for independence. My job is to protect and provide; their job is to gradually grow-out of the need for protection and provision. Even though I know it's good for them to do things on thier own, let's face it. It's usually just easier, faster, cleaner and safer for me to do it for them, but I know that in doing so I rob them of the chance to succeed at something. Holy cow this is hard for me! The things they usually want to do are like mowing the grass, loading the dishwasher, driving the van, or cleaning the windows. The things I want them to do on their own- putting on shoes, putting away PJs, taking dishes to the sink, cleaning up toys- no so much fun for some reason. But there are rare moments when someone decides to exert his independence in a way that I'm excited about.

Today- It's raining outside (Hooray... we so needed rain!). Isaiah sees a stick on the windowsill of the living room window- outside. He decides he wants that stick. As he opens the door to go outside- barefoot and with no jacket- I tell him that he'll have to wait until I can help him put on his shoes and jacket. "I can do it Mommy!"

And though I know that he probably can do it himself, it's always quicker and easier if I "help" him- he's only 3 after all right? But, since he's motivated by the stick, he finds socks, rubber boots, and his jacket himself. Then he spends a full 5 minutes zipping up his jacket himself. He goes outside, gets the stick, comes back in and takes everything off. Getting ready completely alone= 10 minutes. Time outside= 30 seconds. But the look of satisfaction on his face was terrific! I love his 3 yr old language too.

"I useded my jacket for just in case for to protect me from the rain. I should have glasses for to protect my eyes when I look up in the sky at the rain falling falling down down down into my eyes. I gotted my stick too Mommy. Did you seed it?"

So, that's today.

No comments:

Simile Metaphor Collection

Elijah after running: My heart is beating like a coconut rolling down a hill.
Elijah on urination: Pee is like horses galloping out of the gate. Once they get started you just can't stop them.
Elijah: If school were a human I'd give it a wedgie.
Elijah: I am like a hot rod and I just want to be a plain old Ford
Elijah on the fruits of the spirit: I've got them all covered except self-control. Its like a tiny green tomato and the rest are all big ripe ones. Especially love. Its like the biggest tomato we saw in the garden tonight.