Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Reflections


I thought I'd take some time tonight to think about these last few months. They've been a whirlwind and taking some time to reflect is never a bad thing. So what's been going on?

* I am learning to cherish the precious time I have with the boys. I've moved out of overwhelmed-and-stretched-thin (juggling a crying kid in one arm, while shooing the angry dog away from the mail man at the front door, while keeping a 2 year old from slipping out to join the mail man, while a four year old yells from the bathroom, "I need help wipingggggg!") into overjoyed-and-full. We still have our moments, but overall, I want these days to tick by one... second... at... a... time.

I want to somehow have the superpower that would allow me to absorb every word, glance and giggle. Every one of these three children has such lovely unique gifts. Oh God that I would continue to learn how to nurture them!

* I am so proud of Eric. He manages work, school, housework , being a dad and a husband like the finest of jugglers. He rarely, if ever, drops a ball and when he does he blames only himself. I've watched him catch a vision for his future, learn about his gifts and desires, and actually put words to the dreams he has for himself and our family. Lord God, continue to draw him near to you and strengthen his sense of You in him.

* Living with our Nigerian friend and our American friends, all under one roof has taught me about myself. In a nutshell, it is making me more generous. Generosity isn't giving when I have something to spare. It is giving when someone else has a need- even if it's a need that I don't see. Generosity is not in the business of judging one man's need as greater than another's or greater than my own. It simply gives.

* I like my work. I took on a few more hours in my job at the seminary this semester, and I enjoy my work there- mostly because I love the people I work with.

On the more shadowy side of life:
* I miss my family- my Canadian family. I miss crunchy snow and mom's big warm hugs. I miss my brother's smile and the smell of mom's homemade bread. I miss snowmobiles and crackling wood fireplaces. I miss conversations that are real and deep, that turn into arguments and then back into conversations, then laughter.

* I want to know our future- our post-seminary future. I want to have a picture to look forward to when right now I have the current pleasant movie playing out on ahead and then ..... nothing.... or at least something very vague. It's still a long way off, I know, but I want hope for something wonderful. :)

Enough of that. It really has been a great semester overall. I love our little family with all of its quirks and mishaps. We are learning, growing, experimenting, apologizing to each other when we mess up, but most of all loving each other through it all, and that's what life is all about isn't it.

1 comment:

Nathan and Stefany Head said...

What a great writer you are! Thanks for sharing your reflections... it reminds me to slow down as well. :) Thanks for posting a guessing date on my blog!

Simile Metaphor Collection

Elijah after running: My heart is beating like a coconut rolling down a hill.
Elijah on urination: Pee is like horses galloping out of the gate. Once they get started you just can't stop them.
Elijah: If school were a human I'd give it a wedgie.
Elijah: I am like a hot rod and I just want to be a plain old Ford
Elijah on the fruits of the spirit: I've got them all covered except self-control. Its like a tiny green tomato and the rest are all big ripe ones. Especially love. Its like the biggest tomato we saw in the garden tonight.