Saturday, October 03, 2009

Idiosyncrasies

We all have them right? Micah and Isaiah love to color, paint, draw etc. If Eric or I are sitting with them, they'll do it all day long. Elijah on the other hand, not so much. Lately though, he has been coloring large portions with us. He talks incessantly the entire time, making up stories about the character he is coloring, but he needs the fine motor skills practice, so I encourage the storytelling even though... let's just say they're NOT linear. So today, we were all painting or coloring at the table.
Elijah was coloring a storm trooper, chattering away about how you kill storm troopers, what they do, who they are, what color they can or can't be, where they live and a thousand other details. I've learned the fine art of, "oh yeah? Really. Huh," responses while thinking other thoughts. I'm glad I caught this nugget though.
Elijah: I really hate coloring the background.
Me: That's OK. Just color the parts you like.
Elijah: OK. I'm done with the storm trooper. I'm going to cut him out.
Me: OK.
Elijah gets the scissors and starts cutting around the storm trooper.
Elijah: Mommy, it feels good to cut him out because I feel like I'm setting him free from his background.

Ahh the places we could go with this.

3 comments:

Kelly Lawson said...

On an unrelated note, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the new photo on the blog header. Great one.

jeremiah said...

i, too, love the new header pic. great shot.

as far as the post- wow. that was a brilliant moment. thanks so much for passing it along.

Angela said...

WOW. Major thoughts going on in that boy's mind!!! Smart mom for catching onto it. Don't you just love finding the differences in your children, so many things alike and so many things different! Elijah has a lot going on in that busy mind of his!

Simile Metaphor Collection

Elijah after running: My heart is beating like a coconut rolling down a hill.
Elijah on urination: Pee is like horses galloping out of the gate. Once they get started you just can't stop them.
Elijah: If school were a human I'd give it a wedgie.
Elijah: I am like a hot rod and I just want to be a plain old Ford
Elijah on the fruits of the spirit: I've got them all covered except self-control. Its like a tiny green tomato and the rest are all big ripe ones. Especially love. Its like the biggest tomato we saw in the garden tonight.