Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Micah's first words

Not spoken words, but reading. Really and truly all by himself, he is sounding out words. We've been playing school a few days a week and "working" on some phonics stuff which I know sounds boring but he really likes it. Anyway, a couple of days ago he saw a stack of flash cards with blends on them and asked me if he could try them. I hesitated because I didn't want him to get frustrated too quickly and decide suddenly to dislike the other things that we do.

He kept at me though and yesterday I relented and taught him his first blend- "ck" as in "duck." The practice words that go with that blend are pack, quick, neck, back, lock and sock and he read them all with a little assistance yesterday and almost all by himself today. Best of all though, it has changed his whole demeanor. He is literally glowing from ear to ear and has developed a whole new level of patience with his little brother since he feels so much more like the big brother. The look on his face when he first sounded out "n...e...ck neck" and I told him that he was right... was about as fulfilling as anything I ever been a part of in my life- no exaggeration.

No comments:

Simile Metaphor Collection

Elijah after running: My heart is beating like a coconut rolling down a hill.
Elijah on urination: Pee is like horses galloping out of the gate. Once they get started you just can't stop them.
Elijah: If school were a human I'd give it a wedgie.
Elijah: I am like a hot rod and I just want to be a plain old Ford
Elijah on the fruits of the spirit: I've got them all covered except self-control. Its like a tiny green tomato and the rest are all big ripe ones. Especially love. Its like the biggest tomato we saw in the garden tonight.