Friday, June 15, 2007

Growing Up



















Eric sent me this picture while I was in class today. You don't think he might be grooming his son for a particular sport maybe?

















Overheard this morning...


I'm in the bedroom getting ready, the boys are all eating breakfast. Eric is in the shower.


Elijah: Micah, when I'm 11 years old, you'll still only be like 7 or something.


Micah: I'm getting big too Ewijah!


Elijah: Yeah, but you'll never be as big as me.


Micah: Yes I will. I went off the diving board.


Elijah: No you didn't. I jumped off the diving board. You had to have the teacher help you.





Micah: I DID DO IT! I DID EWIJAH! I JUMP OFF THE DIVING BOARD! Hmmmph!


There is a tense silence and I can just hear Micah's blood boiling. Elijah is well aware of Micah's low boiling point and takes full advantage. The thought crosses my mind to go out to the kitchen and intervene before Micah ends up throwing his Cheerios at Elijah. I'm glad I didn't though because here's what I heard next.





Elijah: Let's not argue Micah. Here, look at my Bible Man magazine with me.


Micah: OK Ewijah OK.


I can hear the smile in Micah's voice, and I'm so proud of Elijah for seeing that he had pushed his little brother far enough. One of those lovely sunny moments in a parent's day when you feel like you might be doing something right.

4 comments:

Eric said...

OK, I have to defend myself. Micah came in with the whistle in his mouth and the stopwatch in his hand. I may have added the baton and shoes but I didn't think that was an illegitimate stretch...or maybe I'm priming them to be runners. Elijah and i did watch a track meet on television the other day...guilty...

Robin said...

How sweet! Those tender moments among three boys must be appreciated!

By the way, I really like your hairstyle, Erin!

Unknown said...

Yeah, so fun to see pictures of you Erin! Love the hair. What a great conversation, and I love how you narrate.

Josh said...

i can guarentee you, eric was never that nice to me. he would have just kept pushing and pushing until i was throwing things and slamming doors. good to see that elijah takes after you, erin.

Simile Metaphor Collection

Elijah after running: My heart is beating like a coconut rolling down a hill.
Elijah on urination: Pee is like horses galloping out of the gate. Once they get started you just can't stop them.
Elijah: If school were a human I'd give it a wedgie.
Elijah: I am like a hot rod and I just want to be a plain old Ford
Elijah on the fruits of the spirit: I've got them all covered except self-control. Its like a tiny green tomato and the rest are all big ripe ones. Especially love. Its like the biggest tomato we saw in the garden tonight.