Thursday, July 03, 2008

Canada Day!






There is just something about being with family. I have lots of friends that I've made from lots of different places. And some of those friends are as close as relatives, but very few. There is a kind of unconditional acceptance that goes along with being related. We celebrated Canada Day with my mom's side of the family.

Even though I barely know most of my 2nd cousins and my 1st cousins (those who were present- I missed you Dillan, Andy and Sarah) are significantly older, it is still a comfort to be among them. I know that I'm accepted and loved even though I have never done anything to deserve their kindness toward me.

I've not been there to babysit their kids or attend their graduations. I haven't given Christmas gifts or even attended any Christmas dinners in the last 12 years. I don't send cards, and I've never called any of them just to see how life is treating them. Yet, they are glad to see us, they welcome us and make a special effort to get to know us on the rare occasion that we do see them. No guilt trips about not visiting enough. No judgments. No criticism. No disapproval for moving so far away. Just kind words, hugs, pictures and laughter.

I listed to them talk about the father, husband, grandfather and uncle they'd just lost. They mention my uncle freely and remember him well. They are free with their thoughts, feelings, words, affection and laughter. What a blessing- and I do not use that word lightly- to be a member of such a clan.

No comments:

Simile Metaphor Collection

Elijah after running: My heart is beating like a coconut rolling down a hill.
Elijah on urination: Pee is like horses galloping out of the gate. Once they get started you just can't stop them.
Elijah: If school were a human I'd give it a wedgie.
Elijah: I am like a hot rod and I just want to be a plain old Ford
Elijah on the fruits of the spirit: I've got them all covered except self-control. Its like a tiny green tomato and the rest are all big ripe ones. Especially love. Its like the biggest tomato we saw in the garden tonight.