Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Elijah at Five

You are 5 years old now;
We are struck daily by your
Thoughtful character
Always contemplating, analyzing, connecting
Remembering.
This morning, I’m rushing to get everyone in the van,
You and I almost collide at the corner of the walkway and the driveway. I don’t see you in my rushing.
You grab the corner of my shirt and pull me back to you, wrapping your arms around my legs for the briefest moment, reminding me:
“Mommy, I love you,” and you dash off to the van.

You love to play harmless tricks on us,
Giggling wildly as you not-so-secretly stash a toy transformer on my chair before dinner- barely able to contain the anticipated moment of Mommy sitting on the toy.
And your laughter is such a gift- not terribly frequent,
But when it does bubble up
It comes from somewhere deep inside you-
Joy.

You love and hate with passion.
You love your green checked button up church shirt. You’ve worn it every Sunday for the past 2 months- since Easter when Nana gave it to you. You hate every other church shirt.
You love sleeveless T-shirts because, “they show people my muscles, Mommy.” You’ve refused to wear anything else since summer began.
You hate change- any change.
Even changes most kids wouldn’t mind, you abhor.
“They’re all out of strawberry, do you want to try a chocolate shake instead?”
“No Mommy! I only like strawberry!”
Of course, how could I even suggest such a thing.
“Hey, do you want to try T-Ball or soccer this summer?”
“No! There would be people I don’t know.”
Silly me. Why would we want to get to know new people?
A new church and new home in Kentucky? We’ve been here for a year and you still call Indiana our “real home.”
Flexibility is coming- in the small things
Over time and with patience.
You teach us so much about
Slowing…
down…

You delight in all things pretend;
When you become Spiderman for the day- we must address you as such. Usually, I am also Spiderwoman and Daddy is your accomplice, the Green Lantern.
Your imagination is your favorite toy.

You are protective of your brothers, especially Isaiah. You generally get along well with them-
Jumping, running, climbing, moving
As though motion were the life source of your being.
You love to participate in family life
Doing your chores eagerly-
Making your bed, feeding the dog, cleaning up your dishes
We rarely have to remind you.
You thrive on routine and you want to know the plan
You are always thinking ahead
Always thinking
Always.
This is you at 5,
Elijah Garret Crisp.

No comments:

Simile Metaphor Collection

Elijah after running: My heart is beating like a coconut rolling down a hill.
Elijah on urination: Pee is like horses galloping out of the gate. Once they get started you just can't stop them.
Elijah: If school were a human I'd give it a wedgie.
Elijah: I am like a hot rod and I just want to be a plain old Ford
Elijah on the fruits of the spirit: I've got them all covered except self-control. Its like a tiny green tomato and the rest are all big ripe ones. Especially love. Its like the biggest tomato we saw in the garden tonight.