Friday, March 11, 2011

Never met a stranger... literally

Isaiah has the tiniest bladder ever, so we stopped at a gas station to go potty on the way home from swimming lessons.  I was standing in line to pay for a drink (post-workout dying of thirst) while he went.  When he came out and joined me in line. We were standing behind a man, lots of piercings, tats, baggy jeans, black hoodie sweatshirt, you get the picture.

Isaiah was at eye level with the man's back pocket. I saw him staring intently at the contents of the pocket, and before I could say anything, he reached up and poked something sticking out of the man's back pocket.  I  tsked at him and whispered, "Zay, you don't touch people's pockets man."  As I said this, the man reached around to check his wallet and I noticed his other hand was holding his cell to his ear.

Just as I was thinking about my gratefulness for his conversation as it would excuse me from making apologies for my son who likes to poke people in the butt apparently, I look back to Zay to see him tapping the man on the elbow.  What?  I say, "Zay, he's on the phone.  Leave him alone."
The man then turns to us and says to the person on the phone, "Hold on, there's a kid here trying to talk to me and I don't want to be rude."  To Zay, "Yeah buddy, what is it?"
Isaiah, "Do you know you have a BINGO card in your pocket?"
Man, "Do I?"  He pulls it out.  Sure enough there is a scratch off BINGO card that I couldn't see because his sweatshirt was covering it.
Isaiah:  "Where did you get it?"
Man, "My girlfriend gave it to me.  I don't know if its a winner or not. OK?"  Very pleasant and polite.
Zay nods and he goes back to his conversation, turning around.  I looked at Zay with a perplexed look.
Zay said, "What?  I thought only kids played BINGO."

1 comment:

Tom Fuerst said...

Awesomest story ever! That's something I would've done as a kid.

Simile Metaphor Collection

Elijah after running: My heart is beating like a coconut rolling down a hill.
Elijah on urination: Pee is like horses galloping out of the gate. Once they get started you just can't stop them.
Elijah: If school were a human I'd give it a wedgie.
Elijah: I am like a hot rod and I just want to be a plain old Ford
Elijah on the fruits of the spirit: I've got them all covered except self-control. Its like a tiny green tomato and the rest are all big ripe ones. Especially love. Its like the biggest tomato we saw in the garden tonight.