Friday, June 25, 2010

Perfect Moment

There's a John Mayer tune on the radio,
Both windows in my brother's battered grey pick-up truck are rolled
all. the. way. down.
Micah and I ride toward home, each with one hand out our open windows
our other hands meet in the middle to share a basket of fresh
strawberries from the farmer's market.  Blue sky and wispy clouds above,
waves of winter wheat and bright yellow canola flowers
roll along next to the truck.
I look over at him; he's quiet, intent on picking a stem from a large
juicy red berry.  He throws the stem out into the wind and looks at me.
Pink stains on his fingers and chin are accompanied
by sticky red drips down his shirt.  He bites into one
and oh that smile.  Ruby red lips embrace juice stained teeth,
tiny fragments of berry and seeds still plastered to his face.
He turns back to the window, pressing his face into the wind,
and John Mayer continues to serenade our perfect moment.

No comments:

Simile Metaphor Collection

Elijah after running: My heart is beating like a coconut rolling down a hill.
Elijah on urination: Pee is like horses galloping out of the gate. Once they get started you just can't stop them.
Elijah: If school were a human I'd give it a wedgie.
Elijah: I am like a hot rod and I just want to be a plain old Ford
Elijah on the fruits of the spirit: I've got them all covered except self-control. Its like a tiny green tomato and the rest are all big ripe ones. Especially love. Its like the biggest tomato we saw in the garden tonight.