Monday, April 20, 2009

Laundry soap



Thanks to a great SFM event a few weeks ago, I made our own laundry soap last weekend for a fraction of the cost of the store bought stuff, and it's better for the environment. Here is the recipe
12 cups of Borax
8 cups of Super Washing Soda
8 cups of baking soda
9 bars of Ivory soap grated- freeze them, cut into chunks and pureed in the food processor.
The total cost was about $30 and it will last for 280 loads of laundry. You only use 2-3 tablespoons in each load. It smells great, works well, is eco-friendly and economical- what more could you ask for?

I mixed it by pouring in about half of each ingredient at a time, mixing, then pouring in the next portion and mixing some more. The 5 gallon bucket was perfect for mixing, but I'm storing it in 2 large plastic ice cream containers- the kind with the handle.

I bought most of the ingredients from drugstore.com but bought the baking soda at Meijer for 0.60 a box and had $0.50 coupons so they were only 0.10 a box. We've used it on several loads of laundry and so far it has worked as well on stains and smells as any other soap. I felt very Little House on the Prairie making my own soap too. :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

this is awesome!! i got the recipe awhile back when i was just starting the milling/baking bread thing and was trying to get the hang of that. i was just thinking the other day that it was time to give it a shot since i was used to the bread. its very encouraging to see that you've done it!

Robin said...

Very cool! I make my own as well, pretty much the same way, but without the baking soda, and more washing soda. Each batch has lasted me six months! Great stuff!

Simile Metaphor Collection

Elijah after running: My heart is beating like a coconut rolling down a hill.
Elijah on urination: Pee is like horses galloping out of the gate. Once they get started you just can't stop them.
Elijah: If school were a human I'd give it a wedgie.
Elijah: I am like a hot rod and I just want to be a plain old Ford
Elijah on the fruits of the spirit: I've got them all covered except self-control. Its like a tiny green tomato and the rest are all big ripe ones. Especially love. Its like the biggest tomato we saw in the garden tonight.