Sunday, March 22, 2009

Spring has Sprung

What a great day we had out in the sunshine today. I dug up about a hundred dandelions and four dead shrubs while the boys entertained themselves with a whole list of activities:
- they hauled cut branches to the curb for me
- they picked worms out of the dirt clods I was digging up
- they named said worms, made homes for them in plastic containers and took them for rides in the wagon
- they gave each other rides in the wagon, all around the court, laughing hysterically and taking turns pushing, running beside and riding in the wagon
- they rode bikes, but Micah got mad and went inside for a bit because he couldn't win. To appease his perceived inadequacy, he tried to taunt Isaiah saying, "You're slower than I am" to which Isaiah responded, "That's OK, I'll grow" which infuriated Micah all the more. It made me smile.
- the poor worms suffered through another episode of "house" before I finally convinced them to let the worms go. "House" involved one worm 'having a baby' which actually means having a tiny bottom section ripped off so that there was a large worm and a tiny wriggling bit of a worm. This prompted a save-the-worm intervention from mom.

Yup, we had a great afternoon. There's almost nothing I'd rather do on a sunny warm Sunday than enjoy life, order and beauty in little patches of Creation- working to the tune of brotherly boyishness in the background.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Ahhh. Nothing more enjoyable than watching your kids play in the sun!

Simile Metaphor Collection

Elijah after running: My heart is beating like a coconut rolling down a hill.
Elijah on urination: Pee is like horses galloping out of the gate. Once they get started you just can't stop them.
Elijah: If school were a human I'd give it a wedgie.
Elijah: I am like a hot rod and I just want to be a plain old Ford
Elijah on the fruits of the spirit: I've got them all covered except self-control. Its like a tiny green tomato and the rest are all big ripe ones. Especially love. Its like the biggest tomato we saw in the garden tonight.