Tuesday, August 21, 2007

FIRST DAY OF KINDERGARTEN

Ok, anyone who knows me knows that I'm not one to become emotional over just every little milestone. I don't normally cry at much of anything (although I did cry watching A.I. this month... how weird is that.) Anyway, I've been mentally preparing for the 1st day of kindergarten for a couple of weeks now because I knew it would be harder on me than him. Call me crazy, but Kindergarten just seems like a big deal to me. He has officially entered the educational system- Class of 2020 as my own school system was only to eager to point out to moms everywhere, as if our own quandaries about "where did the time go?" weren't already enough. Anyway, he is doing great considering... well, let's just say flexibility is not his strength. We fully expect it to take a month or so before he really settles in and enjoys himself, but he doesn't cry getting on the bus, and he doesn't take on some superhero persona every day to protect his true identity, so I think we've made some steps in the right direction.

He and Micah have both been "reading" whole books to each other lately. I use the term reading loosely because I think they have mostly memorized them, but there are definitely times when Micah gets stuck on a word and either Elijah has heard the story more times, or he is using some phonemic awareness to figure out the words because they end up figuring out the words together. We're going to try to get some video of it because it's just one of those things they will need to see when they're teenagers fighting over the car someday. Elijah also has homework this year, and get this. His favorite parts of homework so far have been identifying letters and numbers and counting skills, but I have to practically sit on top of him to get him to do the drawing. He had to do 5 drawings this week- himself, his family, his friend, something he likes to do, and something he's looking forward to at school. It has taken us literally sweat and tears to get those 5 little pictures out. He draws one line then starts crying (or pouting depending on how tired he is) because it just doesn't look like that way he pictured it in his head. If it can't be exact, he doesn't even want to try. Anyway, we made it through tonight and his little book has 5 pictures. Incidentally Jess, he included Esther in the picture of his family. Mommy, Daddy, himself, Micah, Isaiah and an extra tiny person next to Isaiah. When I asked him who it was he looked at me like I had two heads and said, "it's Esther playing with Isaiah."
He drew blocks as something he likes to do, a newfound interest of his. Anyway, enough blabbering on... her are some pictures.

1 comment:

Jess said...

Cute - good pictures of the kids. You can borrow Es anytime you want - I know you need a girl fix!

Simile Metaphor Collection

Elijah after running: My heart is beating like a coconut rolling down a hill.
Elijah on urination: Pee is like horses galloping out of the gate. Once they get started you just can't stop them.
Elijah: If school were a human I'd give it a wedgie.
Elijah: I am like a hot rod and I just want to be a plain old Ford
Elijah on the fruits of the spirit: I've got them all covered except self-control. Its like a tiny green tomato and the rest are all big ripe ones. Especially love. Its like the biggest tomato we saw in the garden tonight.