Sunday, March 18, 2007


Elijah is recovering well. Thanks so much to family and friends who called or sent cards. We appreciate your thoughts and prayers. Times have certainly changed since Eric and I had our tonsils out 20 years ago. Total time in the hospital with Elijah before, during and after surgery= 4 hours. That's it.

The hardest part was waiting with him in our pre-procedure cubicle. Our spot was a small curtained area in a large room where about a dozen of these curtained cubicles house patients both waiting for surgery and those who have just come out. Needless to say there was plenty of crying to be heard from the families around us, mostly babies who had gotten tubes put in, but that made him a little nervous. They took him back to the operating room in a wagon, which was good because otherwise I'm sure they would have had to drag him kicking and screaming. He just kept asking to go home.  Watching him roll away in the wagon was heartbreaking, but I held it together for his sake until he was out of sight.

The actual procedure takes about 30 minutes, and we were summoned back from the waiting room to help him come out of the anesthesia. They had me sit in a recliner and put Elijah on my lap while he came out of his sleepy fog, and it wasn't a gentle awakening. He was disoriented, confused, scared and emotional, but it was so good to be able to comfort him.  I was thrilled that they let me hold him during this time.  I can't imagine how scary it would be for a child, coming out of anesthetic alone on a bed. He fell asleep in my lap in recovery for about 30 minutes and when he woke up he was completely focused on getting out of there and getting home as quickly as possible. He wanted the IV out of his arm and his pants and his shoes on. He was incredibly thirsty and drank two juice boxes and a glass of water while we were at the hospital and was very scared that they had left cotton balls in his throat (which they or course hadn't, but that's what it felt like to him).

That afternoon he did a lot of sleeping while Papa and Daddy worked on building the play set in our back yard. Since then he has been gradually eating and drinking a little more each day. They gave us pain meds, but we're sticking to Tylenol because after one dose of the stronger stuff, he was miserable.  He just cried at everything for no reason.  He said his throat didn't hurt but he just felt like crying and didn't know why.  He asked not to have that pink medicine again.  The first night of sleep was a little rough but they warned us to get him to take small drinks every time he wakes up at night for the first 2-3 nights as it's the dryness of the incisions that is most irritating to the throat.

AND, I'm also thrilled to report, that after only a week, he is sleeping so MUCH better at night.  No more waking up every hour or two.  He seems more rested and alert already.  Woo hoo!

1 comment:

Kim and Joel said...

Glad to hear that all is OK. THe great things about tonsilectomies is all the good food you get to eat afterward!
HOpe he (and y'all) are doing better.
Happy Holy Week!

Simile Metaphor Collection

Elijah after running: My heart is beating like a coconut rolling down a hill.
Elijah on urination: Pee is like horses galloping out of the gate. Once they get started you just can't stop them.
Elijah: If school were a human I'd give it a wedgie.
Elijah: I am like a hot rod and I just want to be a plain old Ford
Elijah on the fruits of the spirit: I've got them all covered except self-control. Its like a tiny green tomato and the rest are all big ripe ones. Especially love. Its like the biggest tomato we saw in the garden tonight.